This post is in collaboration with TripAdvisor for the #TRAVELTOTASTE Campaign
Mac and Cheese. Oh, yes, the creamy, dreamy, decadent and delicious flavors of mac and cheese. Who can resist? Not me!
On a recent trip to stay on the Gulf Coast of Florida, at Inn on the Beach in Pass-a-Grille (in the Saint Petersburg area – read my review of the hotel here), we ate a ton of seafood. Even though we live in South Florida, and can easily eat fresh seafood on a regular basis, there’s something about eating local dishes while traveling. Inn on the Beach is footsteps away from the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and close to restaurants with menus that abound with sea creatures. Thankfully, TripAdvisor has a wonderful restaurant search feature which allowed me to pick out some awesome places for our family to eat.
After the trip, I was inspired to whip up a lobster mac and cheese recipe that was devoured by my family very quickly.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy and delicious lobster mac at home:
Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe
– 1 pound of pasta (I used shells…appropriate for seafood!)
– 1 pound (16 ounces) chopped lobster meat
– 6 tbsp butter
– 3 cups milk
– 1/4 cup flour
– 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
– 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
– 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
– 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
– 1 tsp each: salt, pepper, garlic powder
– 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
1. First, begin cooking pasta according to the directions on the package. You’ll want to cook them to an al dente temperature (meaning, not quite cooked all the way through – don’t worry, they’ll finish cooking in the oven!). When done, rinse in cold water and set the pasta aside until needed.
2. While pasta is still cooking, melt half of the butter in a separate saucepan over medium heat. Pour in the milk, and slowly stir in the flour. Then, slowly add in the cheeses and keep stirring until melted. Followed by the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Remove the cheese sauce from the heat.
4. Now, mix together the lobster meat, pasta, and cheese sauce until evenly pasta is evenly coated.
5. Grease a large baking dish and pour pasta into the dish.
6. In a saucepan, melt remaining butter and mix in the breadcrumbs.
7. Pour the buttery breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top of the lobster mac in the baking dish.
8. Pop the dish in the oven and bake the lobster mac at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the top of the breadcrumbs are a golden brown color. Remove from oven and let the dish cool a bit before serving.
ENJOY the heavenly creation you just made!
Have you ever made a dish that was inspired by a place that you’ve traveled to? What recipe have you created or would you like to make from a trip that you’ve been on? Check out the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Restaurants for some delicious inspiration!
Don’t forget to join me and other awesome bloggers for a fun #TravelToTaste TripAdvisor Twitter party on 10/28 at 2pm ET. See you there! I’ll bring the lobster mac!