This past week was a little crazy around here. To be completely honest, we ate a lot of takeout food. Sometimes, a mom’s gotta do what a mom’s gotta do to get dinner on the table. Right?! Right!
However, I’d like to think that I redeemed myself (and my culinary skills) when I put this lasagna together the other night. It was quite a hit with our family. I like making recipes that my kids will eat that also pack in some veggies.
This eggplant zucchini lasagna did just that. Our whole family ate this lasagna recipe, and I felt happy that it had vegetables in between the layers of cheese. I’ll mark this one down in the “win” column, thank you very much.
Keep reading below to get the full details on how to make this delicious lasagna with eggplant and zucchini in it…
Eggplant Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make this super delicious lasagna recipe at your home:
– 1 large eggplant
– 3 zucchini
– 1 box lasagna noodles
For cheesy filling:
– 1 cup pesto
– 32 ounces Ricotta cheese
– 1 1/2 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 1 egg
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp pepper
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– 8 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend (or just shredded Mozzarella works great, too)
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 450 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, take your eggplant and zucchini and slice crosswise into approximately 1/3 inch-thick slices. Coat two baking sheets with olive oil (I like to line mine with aluminum foil first for easier clean up). Then, arrange the eggplant and zucchini slices in a single layer on the baking sheets. Brush the slices with olive oil, and sprinkle with a lightly with salt and pepper. Pop those baking sheets into the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, carefully turning the slices over halfway through to get them evenly tender.
3. While the eggplant and zucchini are in the oven, cook the lasagna noodles according to the instructions on the package. (TIP – I also add a generous pour of olive oil into the water before boiling so that the lasagna noodles don’t stick together and tear apart)
4. You’ll also begin preparing the filling while the oven and stove are getting the other ingredients ready. For this, you’ll need a medium sized bowl. Take the pesto, Ricotta, Parmesan Reggiano, olive oil, egg, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix together into a smooth cheesy consistency.
5. Once the eggplant and lasagna have been removed from the oven, lower the temperature down to 425 degrees. Also, drain the lasagna noodles once they’re done. You’re now ready to layer this lasagna and almost ready to taste how awesome it is! To begin layering, oil an oblong baking dish (like this one) and spread a thin layer of the Ricotta cheese/pesto filling mixture across the bottom of the dish. Next, layer the lasagna noodles on top of that. Next, sprinkle on some shredded Italian cheese (or mozzarella) to cover the noodles. Then, add a layer of eggplant and zucchini.
6. Continue alternating the ingredients for each layer until you’ve reached the top of the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Italian cheese on top. Feel free to make it look a little fancier with a few remaining zucchini or eggplant slices arrange across the top!
7. Cover the dish with aluminum foil (TIP – oil the inside of the foil so it doesn’t stick to the cheese), and bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and continue baking until the edges are golden and the cheese on top is nice and bubbly (approximately another 10-15 minutes more). It will be SUPER hot when you take it out of the oven, so let this heavenly Eggplant Zucchini Lasagna cool off before serving.
For more delicious recipes click here.