There we were, in Mommy and Me music class…
The younger of my two male offspring was in the corner of the room having a full-on, on-his-back, leg flailing, 18-month-old tantrum. Why? I’m not even sure why. Maybe because I’m the worst mom in the world? I don’t know. But, sure enough, he made enough of a show to let everyone know he was MAD.
The older of my sweet boys was walking around the room ROAAAAAARRRR’ing like a dinosaur in other moms’ faces. Some of the moms, when faced with my tiny dinosaur, kindly played along.
Others, were admittedly not as kind. There was one mom in particular (with an adorable, well behaved little girl on her lap) that stared at my kid with her face seemingly paralyzed with look of horror.
I just wanted to say to her, “Lady, you’ve never seen a baby dinosaur before??!” Judging by the look on her face, chances are that little boy dinosaurs do not roam freely through her home, unlike ours!
I realized that however similar little boys and little girls may be, sometimes boys are just going to be boys!
Lessons learned from Parenting Boys –
1. Boys make a TON of noise – There is never a dull or quiet moment when parenting boys. Be sure to pack some ear plugs in your bag before stepping onto our all-boy turf. There’s never a shortage of toy car sirens, truck (and dinosaur!) sounds, tantrums, fighting, crying, laughing, and running around the house like wild animals in a male dominated home.
2. Boys LOVE pretty much anything that has a motor – Remember the kid a few months back all over the internet when his adorable meltdown went viral after meeting garbage men? Yea, I mean, that’s what happens to pretty much every little boy that sees a garbage truck, firetruck, or police car, and in our house it even happens for the lawn guys. The way little girls idolize Disney Princesses and dream about meeting Cinderella at her castle is the same way that my boys feel about anyone holding a leaf blower or WeedWhacker.
Case and point – this shot of my boys at the park staring lovingly at the park maintenance guy using a leaf blower:
3. EVERYTHING and anything can be turned into a weapon – No matter how much of an effort you make to have very few actual weapon-looking toys you have in your home, a boy can make pretty much anything into a fighting utensil.
Pool noodle? Yup!
Scooter? Turn that thing upside down and it’s a huge L-shaped doom machine.
Fork? Forget it, hide the baby.
Toy vacuum? It’s on top of the fridge and out of reach of the boys currently.
Kiddie baseball bat or golf clubs? Not a chance they’re coming in this all-boy zone.
4. Body parts and bodily functions are hilarious – If you’re a boy mom, I don’t even need to elaborate. You already know the deal. Hearing about poop, farts, and pee non-stop is just something that we have to get used to!
5. Boys need tons of love and hugs – No matter if you’re a parent to a boy or a girl, this holds true. Our children will always need an abundance of love from their parents…and I’m happy to give it to these sweet little boys!
GIRL TALK/BOY TALK –